History on the Hill
Windham Historical Society Presents History on the Hill
Saturday, October 13, 2018
History on the Hill will be a tour of four historic places on Windham Hill. The owners of the Edward Anderson House and Moses Little House have agreed to open their homes for the Society. In addition, Laurel Parker, historian for the Windham Hill United Church of Christ, will open its doors for the day to discuss the Church and its history. The Windham Hill Cemetery will be the last stop on the tour.
The Edward Anderson House, the oldest house on Windham Hill, was built around 1790. The house has a center chimney and many rooms still have the original wide board wainscoting with raised panels and wide pine floors.
The Moses Little House is a beautiful hip-roofed Federal period home. The house boasts wide board wainscoting, Indian shutters, and fireplaces in many rooms. The barn will also be open for the day. It is currently filled with a fleet of antique cars!
The Windham Hill United Church of Christ is the oldest church in Windham built in 1834-35 of Post and Beam construction. Its church bell is the oldest in town and other architectural features include Gothic windows, an Italianate steeple, and a beautiful stained glass window donated by a member of the Morrill family of B & M Baked Bean fame.
Windham Hill Cemetery will be the tour’s last stop. After touring the Moses Little House, visitors will be invited to go back across the street to the cemetery where members of some of Windham’s earliest families are laid to rest.
Tours will start at 10 a.m. and will leave on the hour. The last tour will leave at 2 p.m. Each tour will take about two hours from start to finish. Tickets will be $20 per person. The Society’s Old Town House Museum and The Village School on the Society’s Village Green will also be open for the day and are included in the price.
Seating is limited. To order tickets in advance, call the Society at 892-1433 and reserve a seat.